Vision 4. ‘We want thriving becks.’
Our vision is of clean vibrant river corridors where wildlife thrives and which provides a safe, positive and happy space for people to live, work and play within a rich ecosystem.
Thriving ecosystems have their own biodiversity value. They also provide many services to people and cities: regulating climate, flooding and carbon flows; providing energy and recreation; purifying water and recycling nutrients. A high quality ecosystem helps with place-making and encourages high quality economic and residential development in its locality.
- Have cleaner becks (improve water quality, prevent pollution incidents, stop littering)
- Renaturalise the becks and their flood plains wherever possible
- Ensure the beck corridors are not ecologically fragmented
- Control significant invasive plants and animals
- Have more focused management of plants in the corridors
- Create cooperative management between the many agencies, owners and interested groups
- Enhance the quality of monitoring and reporting of the becks’ condition
- Include the thriving themes in signage and interpretation material